Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to our most common questions. Please contact us directly if you require any additional assistance.

1. Waste types – what waste materials can you take?

We take all types of non-hazardous bulky waste. Common examples include:

  • Builders /repairs /construction/ demolition / DIY waste – like kitchen and bathroom rip out, drywall, doors
  • Plasterboard – this must be separately bagged please
  • Bric-a-brac & general bulky junk – boxes, books, tools, clothes, toys, packaging materials
  • Furniture – mattress, cupboard, table, sofa*, armchair*, upholstered domestic seating*
  • Garden refuse – branches, cut grass, leaves, soil, old pots, lawn mower, garden furniture
  • Wood – fence panels, wood flooring, plywood, doors, garden dates, garden sheds, plasterboard
  • Flooring – underlay, carpet tiles, carpet, laminate
  • Large Appliances* – like dishwasher, washing machine, cooker, microwave, boiler, domestic fridge (not commercial fridges/chiller cabinets)

* man & van rubbish clearance service only (not skip hire)

For regulatory and health & safety reasons, we CANNOT remove small electrical appliances and electronic devices (eg. phone, computer keyboard, laptop) or hazardous waste like asbestos, oil, petrol, diesel, gas bottles, clinical or biological waste, batteries, tyres or paint. A list of Prohibited Items is provided in our Booking Form. If you have hazardous waste you need to get rid of, we recommend contacting your local council for hazardous waste disposal services in your area.

2. Services – what services do you offer?

We offer man & van rubbish clearance, skip hire, and skip bag collection.

3. Free collection – do you remove ‘nice junk’ for free?
We are not a charity or a reseller of waste.  We charge customers to remove their waste.  If you have something that could be donated or sold, then we recommend you put it to one side and ask us to remove and dispose of the rest


4. Skip Hire vs. Man & Van vs Skip Bag – which service is best?

It all depends.  Skip hire is great if you have lots of heavy, messy waste, whereas man & van rubbish clearance is cheaper and easier for more general, bulky waste. Skip bags are a useful for containment – but only relevant for very small jobs. Skips are relatively expensive, take up quite a lot of room and you cannot adjust their size once they’ve been delivered.  Man & van rubbish removal is comparatively much cheaper, the size can be adjusted on the day and is normally available on much shorter notice.  In our experience, customers who haven’t used man & van rubbish clearance service before are very pleasantly surprised by how easy and cheap it ends up being compared to skip hire.  So as a general rule we recommend the man & van option unless you have lots of very heavy waste like rubble & soil.  Loads more information can be found in our Man & Van Rubbish Clearance guide and Skip Hire guide.


5. Size – which collection size or skip size should I choose?

The volume guides in our Booking Form are there to help you choose the most appropriate Collection or Skip Size. If you are ordering a skip, our skip size guide provides additional guidance.  If you still can’t decide, call 0207 819 9000 or send us some photos of your junk (using the ‘Send us a Photo’ function in the booking form) and we will advise.

Bear in mind that if you order a man & van clearance and the collection size is smaller or bigger than you booked, the team will let you know before they start and, assuming you are happy to go ahead, adjust the price accordingly (or you can cancel and we will refund you in full).  In practise customers choose the correct collection size 99% of the time.


6. Cubic yard – what is a cubic yard and why do you use them to describe volume?

Despite the UK going metric years ago, the waste industry likes to describe the volume of waste in ‘cubic yards’.  A cubic yard measures 1 yard (3 foot or 0.92 metres) high x 1-yard wide x 1 yard deep. It is roughly the size of two washing machines (or one domestic fridge freezer).


7. Disposal & recycling – what happens to the waste after you remove it?

Waste is taken to licensed commercial recycling facilities and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner.  Visit our Sustainability page for more information.

8. Waste License – what is your waste license number?

We are licensed by the Environment Agency.  Our waste carrier and broker license number is CBDU128459.